Thursday, September 30, 2010

Onion Chutney

I know I've posted serveral variations of recipes found in the Rebar cookbook already but that's because this cookbook rocks. I love the restaurant and now I love the cookbook!


I was really excited to make a grilled cheese sandwhich with watercress, green apple and cheddar from the cookbook but wasn't so sure I'd like the onion chutney to be served with it. But oh, I was wrong... this stuff is so good. Like mouthwatering good. Like so good that I've stolen spoonfuls from the jar. We made sandwhiches last night after visiting the farmer's market, such a nice addition to our tomatoe, cheese and bacon sandwhiches (all local, btw. even the bread).
You have to try it! I've made a few minor changes to suit our needs, here's the recipe:

Onion Chutney
2 tbls vegan butter or olive oil
2 yellow onions, sliced thinly
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp brown sugar (make sure it's not just dyed white sugar like most brown sugars out there!)
4 tbls apple cider vinegar with "mother"
ground black pepper

Heat butter or oil in a pan, add onions and cook until translucent over a medium heat. Add salt, chili flakes and cumin and cook for about 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until onions are soft and creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment