Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sick kiddos....

My two littles are sick. Parker started feeling sick about a week ago with a nasty chest cold and runny nose. He's starting to feel better but he's been quite miserable the past few days, lots of crying and tantrums and needing lots of mommy time. He's been nursing as much as Sophie lately which is fine but I didn't even think about germs being passed on to Sophie. And plus he tried to share his soother with her a few times so of course Sophie is now sick.
She started to show signs of a cold on Monday with a cough and a bit of a runny nose but has been her usual happy self and was nursing lots (yay!). Then yesterday her cough got worse, she had a few spells of diarrhea and threw up twice. After she got sick the second time I took her temp and she had a very slight fever of 37.5 but was miserable and would only stay up for a few minutes at a time.
I decided to call the nurses line (in BC it's 8-1-1) just to get some advice because I know that symptoms can change for the worse in small babies really quick. I was worried she'd get a higher fever but because she was under 3 months I had no idea what to do about managing her fever. They recommended because she was so young and because she was having a hard time staying awake and was getting sick after she nursed to bring her in to the ER. I asked if the clinic would be okay since I loathe hospital trips but was told that she'd most likely need an x-ray so they'd send me there anyways. Then just for some fear factor.. she told me to take my cell phone and be prepared to call 9-1-1 on the way if her conditioned worsened. Umm... thanks for that! I wasn't worried about her being sick before until I heard that!
We called my MIL on the way so they could meet us to take Parker home so he wouldn't have to sit in the ER. The dr. ordered an xray and bloodwork but I was thinking it was just a heel prick but instead I learned they needed a vial. Parker had to have this done when he was just a few weeks older than Sophie because of his absence seizures and I just couldn't do that to Sophie for a chest cold. Just as I was telling Dave that we were going to refuse the bloodwork, the nurse came in and said the pediatrician who was going to see us said the bloodwork wasn't necessary (thank you!). But she did need the x-ray so off we went for that. Parker also had to have that and I remembered the chamber they put babies in to get a good look at them and was dreading it. Luckily, they didn't use that for her and she was just able to lay on the table. I was still upset about it but an old coworker of mine was doing the x-ray on her and that made me feel better.
When the pediatrician came to see us, she said she's already seen 8 kids with RSV that day and many of them had been admitted. But although Sophie sounds pretty awful, the congestion isn't in her chest (xray was clear) and because she was still nursing fine we didn't have to stay. But to keep an eye on her because she was either at the peak now or would be at the peak in the next day.
Anyways, long story short (if there's one thing I'm good at, it's rambling! lol)... she's still nursing but she's already thrown up her morning feed because her cough is so bad. And overnight her diaper was barely damp. So I'm praying that we don't need to bring her back. On the plus side, her breathing is fine and Parker seems to be back to his normal self today!

No comments:

Post a Comment