Friday, March 26, 2010

Homemade Yogurt

I knew it was possible to make your own yogurt but I was always intimidated by it for some reason so I never tried it. But then someone on my facebook posted a link to a recipe and said how easy it was so I had to give it a try! http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
It was even easier and tastier than I imagined. Plus with making your own yogurt you know exactly what's going in it which isn't so true for store bought brands and not to mention the money saved.

All you need is:
2 litres of organic milk, any percentage of fat will do (you can use cow's or goat's, I've heard you can try soy and almond too)
1/2 cups starter yogurt (either saved from a previous batch of homemade or an organic plain yogurt with probiotics)
crockpot
strainer
cheese cloth
big bowl
several heavy towels

~To start, pour the milk into the crockpot and set on low for 2.5 hours.
~Unplug the crockpot and let sit for 3 hours.
~Stir in the 1/2 cup yogurt.
~Cover the crockpot with heavy towels.
~Let sit overnight or about 8 hours.

I find that at this point it's still a little too runny for my liking so I:
~line a strainer with 2 layers of cheesecloth and set over a big bowl.
~Put it in the fridge for a few hours or until it reaches your desired thickness.

I like to serve mine with fruit, granola and a touch of honey. SOOOO yummmy! Parker thinks so too:

* You can also make yogurt cheese by leaving the yogurt to strain over a big bowl overnight. The consistency will be like cream cheese. I add some salt and some herbs to taste. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment